• ORGANISATION/COMPANY: University of Gdansk
• RESEARCH FIELD: Physics › Mathematical physics; Physics › Quantum mechanics
• RESEARCHER PROFILE
- Established Researcher (R3)
- Leading Researcher (R4)
• APPLICATION DEADLINE: 12/10/2018 23:00 - Europe/Brussels
• LOCATION: Poland › Gdansk
• TYPE OF CONTRACT: Temporary
• JOB STATUS: Full-time
• HOURS PER WEEK: 40
• OFFER STARTING DATE: 01/02/2019
We are looking for a Group Leader to work in the newly created International Centre for Theory of Quantum Technologies (ICTQT), funded by the Foundation for Polish Science, and hosted by the University of Gdansk. The founders of ICTQT are Marek Zukowski as the director, and Pawel Horodecki as a co- applicant. The Centre’s official foreign partner is IQOQI-Vienna of the Austrian Academy of Sciences. Gdansk is the pioneering and leading center of quantum information research in Poland. Gdansk, and the whole Tri-City, is one of the most beautifully located urban areas in Poland, with sandy sea beaches, lakes, and woods within in it and in the nearby area. It is the birthplace of Polish jazz and rock festivals, and vibrant in many fields.
The Centre will consists of 6 groups: Multiphoton Quantum Optics for Quantum Information (leader M. Zukowski), New Quantum Resources I (leader P. Horodecki), New Quantum Resources II, Quantum Cybersecurity and Communication, Quantum Open Systems, Quantum Computation, Quantum Error Correction and Many-body Systems. For description of expected activities of the groups see link.
About the research group:
Examples of possible initial specific goals of the group are the basic mathematical framework of quantum open systems including completely positive maps, various types of master equations and entropic methods for analysis of quantum models relevant for emerging quantum technologies. Search for quantum mechanisms of energy transduction in manmade and biological systems.
Specific possible initial topics:
- general conditions for work generation in quantum machines; self-oscillations and feedback mechanisms;
- fully quantum models of electric current generation in photovoltaic, thermoelectric and fuel cells including nanoscopic devices and biological counterparts;
- quantum thermometry based on temperature-dependent dynamical effects (decoherence);
- models of errors and their control in application to quantum information processing.
The applicants are welcome to define other goals, provided they fit into the broad topic of the group, and general aims of ICTQT.
Keywords: quantum open systems, Markovian master equations, open systems, decoherence, quantum thermometry, energy transduction, quantum thermal machines, nanoscopic devices, entropy, photovoltaic cells, thermoelectric cells, fuel cells.
• Planning, execution, and management of a research programme focused on quantum phenomena which could be used for quantum open systems.
• Coordination of the work of the group; mentoring of PhD students and post-doctoral scientists; development of a Master’s and a PhD training programme. Being a guardian of professional integrity.
• Research leadership involving expansion to new fields of quantum open systems and active role in setting up of international research networks. Active procurement of new research grants from external sources (Flagship, ERC, National Science Centre, etc.).
• employment in a rapidly developing unit, the International Centre for Theory of Quantum Technologies at the University of Gdansk;
• full-time employment from 1 February 2019 till 31 August 2023. The start date of employment is negotiable, and can be earlier or later; the employment period may be extended after an evaluation;
• gross monthly salary up to 22 500 PLN (yearly total position cost is up to 324 000 PLN), depending on candidate’s qualifications;
• chance and challenge to create your own team;
• funds guaranteed to set up a team (including two post-doctoral researchers (monthly gross salary up to 10 350,00 PLN + extras, from 2019-2023), one PhD student (monthly scholarship 4 500,00 PLN, up to four years), funds for Master’s students, basic funding of ~ 70 000 PLN per annum, plus an access to the common pot of ICTQT, which is currently 1 755 605 PLN, and additional funds for visiting scientists/professors 4 549 050 PLN). Note, that additional funds can come from externally funded grants;
• scientific and organizational support;
• basic equipment and core facilities;
• friendly, inspiring, interdisciplinary environment, including “entanglement” with National Centre for Quantum Information (KCIK) and Institute for Theoretical Physics and Astrophysics (IFTiA) at UG.
General rules of the recruitment process:
• Candidates may simultaneously apply for other leader and senior positions offered by ICTQT. This must be declared in the application form.
• The decision will be made by the International Scientific Committee (ISC) no later than 3 months from the deadline for submission of applications.
• An interview is expected. The ISC reserves the right to invite only pre-selected candidates for the interview.
• The ISC’s decision is final and is not subject to appeal. However, it must be approved by Foundation for Polish Science.
• The ISC reserves the right to close the competition without selecting a candidate.
• In case a candidate recommended for the position of Research Group Leader withdraws their application, or failure to receive the approval of the Foundation for Polish Science's, the ISC is re-assembled to re-evaluate the candidates earlier short-listed for the interview, or may ask ICTQT to publish a new call for the position.
• filled-in recruitment form;
• curriculum vitae;
• research record with a list of publications, and a list of research projects (esp. those in which the candidate was the principal investigator); PDF files of the five most important papers by the candidate (or web links, in the case of open access publications); A list of invited talks at conferences and workshops, and a list of academic prizes and awards;
• motivation letter (including description of immediate and, separately, long-term research plans, innovation potential and possible prospects to establish industrial connection, all discussed in relation with the research aims of ICTQT) – up to five RevTeX pages;
• documents confirming scientific degrees (copies of PhD and/or habilitation diplomas and professorial nominations, or equivalent);
• names and contact details (e-mail addresses) of at least three senior researchers who may provide references for the candidate. (The candidate is expected to contact the referees and ask them to send reference letters directly to email@example.com. The letters must be sent before the deadline.) ICTQT may also contact the referees, to request the letters, or to send reminders.
• REQUIRED LANGUAGES: ENGLISH: Excellent
• A candidate for a Leader of Research Group should be a scientist of global recognition in his/her field, with outstanding scientific achievements, and experience in management of a research group.
We are looking for an exceptionally motivated candidate with at least PhD in physics, mathematics or informatics, with a proven track record, solid knowledge and experience in quantum information or related fields.
• Applicants should have the ability to independently run research projects and supervise graduate students (preferably experience as PI of grants, and experience as a supervisor).
• Experience in cooperation with industrial partners or with patenting would be an additional advantage.
1 position(s) available at
International Centre for Theory of Quantum Technologies, University of Gdansk
Wita Stwosza 63