Scientific discipline: quantum physics
Number of jobs offered: 8
Remuneration: gross monthly salary up to 12 500 PLN , depending on experience
Position starts on: 01.07.2019, the start date is negotiable
Maximum period of employment contract: 36 months (full-time employment, subject to periodical evaluations)
Institution: International Centre for Theory of Quantum Technologies, University of Gdansk, Poland
Submit documents to: email@example.com
Positions of Post-doctoral Researchers offered by the International Centre for Theory of Quantum Technologies of the University of Gdansk are within implementation of the project “International Centre for Theory of Quantum Technologies” (Project leader: Marek Żukowski). The project is financed by the Foundation for Polish Science from the funds of the Smart Growth Operational Programme, axis IV: Increasing the research potential (Measure 4.3) under the International Research Agendas Programme.
We are looking for Post-doctoral Researchers to work in the newly created International Centre for Theory of Quantum Technologies (ICTQT), funded by the Foundation for Polish Science, and hosted by the University of Gdansk. The founders of ICTQT are Marek Zukowski as the director, and Pawel Horodecki as a co- applicant. The Centre’s official foreign partner is IQOQI-Vienna of the Austrian Academy of Sciences. Gdansk is the pioneering and leading center of quantum information research in Poland. Gdansk, and the whole Tri-City, is one of the most beautifully located urban areas in Poland, with sandy sea beaches, lakes, and woods within in it and in the nearby area. It is the birthplace of Polish jazz and rock festivals, and vibrant in many fields.
The Centre consists of 7 research groups:
- Multiphoton Quantum Optics for Quantum Information (leader Marek Zukowski)
- New Quantum Resources I (leader Paweł Horodecki)
- New Quantum Resources II (leader Michał Horodecki)
- Quantum Cybersecurity and Communication (leader Marcin Pawłowski)
- Foundational Underpinnings of Quantum Technologies (leader Ana Belen Sainz)
- Quantum Computation, Quantum Error Correction and Many-body Systems
- Quantum Open Systems.
Profile of candidates/requirements:
- PhD degree preferably in physics (PhD degree obtained in 2015 or later). PhD degree in computer science or mathematics is also acceptable.
- Interest in mathematical and conceptual foundations of quantum mechanics, quantum optics and quantum information theory.
- Written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to work effectively with people from diverse cultural backgrounds.
Key responsibilities include:
- Active scientific research.
- Presentation of project results to internal and external parties.
- Active procurement of new research grants from external sources.
- Participation in mentoring of PhD and Master students.
- Participation in organizational activity of ICTQT.
- Active involvement in seminars, group meetings etc.
- Full-time employment in a rapidly developing unit, the International Centre for Theory of Quantum Technologies at the University of Gdansk. The start date of employment is negotiable, the employment period may be extended after an evaluation.
- Scientific and organizational support.
- Basic equipment and core facilities.
- Friendly, inspiring, interdisciplinary environment, including “entanglement” with National Centre for Quantum Information (KCIK) and Institute for Theoretical Physics and Astrophysics (IFTiA) at UG.
1. filled-in recruitment form;
2. curriculum vitae;
3. a research resume with a list of publications, and a list of research projects (esp. those in which the candidate was the principal investigator); PDF files of three most important papers by the candidate (or just web links, in the case of open access publications); a list of invited talks at conferences and workshops, and a list of academic prizes and awards;
4. motivation letter (including statement of current scientific interests)– up to 2 pages;
5. documents confirming scientific degrees (copy of PhD diploma, or equivalent);
6. name and contact details (e-mail addresses) to two senior researchers who may provide reference for the candidate
(The candidate is expected to contact referees and ask them to send reference letters directly to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The letters must be sent before the deadline.). ICTQT may also contact the referees directly, to request the letters, or to send reminders.
General rules of the recruitment process:
1. Candidates may run simultaneously for other postdoctoral positions offered by ICTQT. This must be declared in the application form.
2. The final choice of the research group may be made in the course of negotiations between the leaders and the candidates.
3. A postdoctoral position is offered to candidates who received PhD degree obtained in 2015 or later. PhD students, who plan to defend their PhD thesis no later than August 2019, may also take part in recruitment.
4. The decision will be made by ICTQT Selecting Commission (SC) within 3 months from the date of recruitment completion.
5. An interview is expected. SC reserves the right to invite for the interview only pre-selected candidates.
6. SC’s decision is final and is not subject to appeal.
7. SC reserves the right to close the competition without selecting the candidate.
For more details about research groups and the position please visit: https://euraxess.ec.europa.eu/jobs/377110