The Quantum Photonics Laboratory seeks a talented and motivated scientist to undertake research on quantum technology with rare-earth doped crystals for quantum memory applications. Significant goals include the characterization of the optical/spin properties of different crystals, optimization of their electronic and spin coherence; the implementation of broadband quantum memory protocols at telecom wavelength. The project is expected to lead to high impact scientific publications and to technological developments related to integrated quantum photonic devices for quantum networking. The work will be conducted in the framework of a recently funded European project on Quantum Repeaters involving world leading groups in quantum photonics and quantum communication and will be carried out under the supervision of Dr Margherita Mazzera, who is principal investigator for Heriot-Watt University within the European project.
· A PhD in physics, electrical engineering, or related subjects. Candidates must have submitted their doctoral thesis before starting in post.
· The ideal candidate will have a strong theoretical understanding and an experimental background in one or more of the following fields: solid-state physics, quantum photonics, and quantum information science.
· Previous experience with one or more of the following:
o Vacuum and cryogenics technology
o Laser stabilisation
· A demonstrated track-record (during a PhD degree or post-doctoral research) of:
o Control and measurement of quantum systems
o Optical and/or radio-frequency technology
· Experience of programming for data acquisition and analysis.
· A record of high-quality publications, as appropriate for the stage in career, and evidence of contribution to the writing of these publications proportionate to opportunity.
· Ability to articulate research work, both in technical reports / papers and by oral presentation
· Ability to formulate and progress work on their own initiative
· Evidence of research ability: problem solving, flexibility
· Must be able to work as part of a team on the experiments at Heriot-Watt and more widely with the collaborators at other Universities
· Experience in public presentations of scientific results (e.g. conference talks)
· Experience in leading the writing of scientific papers.
· Evidence of ability, subject to opportunity, to guide other researchers, e.g. PhD students and undergraduate project students.
· Experience of research-student supervision.
· Capability to be self-directed and think innovatively.
· Energy and enthusiasm for the project.
For more information, please send enquiry emails to Dr Margherita Mazzera (email@example.com).
The application requires a CV, a cover letter explaining the motivation/interest in this project, and the names and contacts of two referees.
To apply visit: https://www.hw.ac.uk/uk/jobs/job_SVJDMjc5NDg.htm