Postdoctoral Research Staff Member: Experimental CQED
We have an opening for a Postdoctoral Research Staff Member in the field of experimental circuit quantum electrodynamics (CQED) based emulation of open quantum system dynamics, quantum information and quantum emulation. You will apply expertise in design, fabrication, characterization and control of CQED systems in collaboration with theory teams to realize platforms for direct quantum emulation of open quantum system dynamics. This position is in the Quantum Coherent Device Physics group, Condensed Matter Section, of the Physics Division.
- Design, fabricate, test and manage control of quantum coherent superconducting systems with applications in quantum emulation.
- Advance the current state of the art in physically realizable controllable open quantum systems.
- Publish research results in external peer-reviewed scientific journals and participate in international conferences.
- Present formal and informal overview of research progress at weekly meetings.
- Pursue independent (but complementary) research interests and interact with a broad spectrum of scientists internally and externally.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Recent PhD in experimental physics or a related field.
- Experience in design, characterization and control of CQED systems.
- Experience in Cryogenic and Vacuum systems.
- Experience in Radio Frequency electronics.
- Ability to work independently on technical tasks, influence technical objectives, to provide in depth analysis, and develop unique technical solutions.
- Interpersonal skills necessary to interact with a diverse set of scientists, engineers and other technical and administrative staff.
- Proficient verbal and written communication skills to collaborate effectively in a team environment, prepare written reports and present and explain technical information.
- Experience with simulation of open quantum system hardware.
- Experience with superconducting materials characterization.
- Experience with FPGA development and / or quantum optimal control.
Pre-Employment Drug Test: External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test.
Security Clearance: None required.
Note: This is a two-year Postdoctoral appointment with the possibility of extension to a maximum of three years. Eligible candidates are recent PhDs within five years of the month of the degree award at time of hire date.
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL), located in the San Francisco Bay Area (East Bay), is a premier applied science laboratory that is part of the National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) within the Department of Energy (DOE). LLNL's mission is strengthening national security by developing and applying cutting-edge science, technology, and engineering that respond with vision, quality, integrity, and technical excellence to scientific issues of national importance. The Laboratory has a current annual budget of about $1.8 billion, employing approximately 6,500 employees.
LLNL is an affirmative action/ equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law