The Institute for Logic, Language & Computation (ILLC) at the University of Amsterdam is looking for a postdoctoral researcher in the area of quantum cryptography, as part of Christian Schaffner’s NWO VIDI Project “Cryptography in the Quantum Age”.
Staff members at ILLC as well as the next-door research center for quantum software QuSoft (Jop Briet, Harry Buhrman, Serge Fehr, Stacey Jeffery, Ronald de Wolf, Christian Schaffner) do research on a variety of topics in quantum information processing including quantum cryptography, quantum algorithms, cryptographic protocols and complexity theory.
The aim of the project is to develop new quantum-cryptographic protocols (beyond the task of key distribution) and explore their limitations. Examples of active research are position-based quantum cryptography and quantum homomorphic encryption. Another aspect is to investigate the security of classical cryptographic schemes against quantum adversaries (post-quantum cryptography).
The full-time appointment (38 hours per week) will be on a temporary basis, initially for one year with an extension for a further two years on positive evaluation. Depending on experience, the gross monthly salary will range from €2,552 to €4,028 (scale 10), excl. 8% holiday allowance and 8,3% annual allowance.
Prospective candidates should:
- hold or be about to obtain a PhD degree in computer science, mathematics or physics;
- have a proven track record of excellence in cryptography and/or quantum information, as witnessed by a strong publication list in relevant first-tier conference proceedings or journals;
- in-depth knowledge of one of the following fields is a plus: parallel repetition, limited-quantum-storage models, continuous variables, quantum security notions, post-quantum security;
- have strong passion for research, a drive to publish and the wish to learn new skills through working with or assisting in guiding PhD and MSc students;
- have good communication skills in English, both oral and written.
Further information and applications via https://www.uva.nl/en/about-the-uva/working-at-the-uva/vacancies/item/16-584-postdoctoral-researcher-in-quantum-cryptography.html