The Light-Matter Interactions Unit (groups.oist.jp/light) in OIST, headed by Prof Síle Nic Chormaic, invites applications for a postdoctoral position. The focus will be on developing and implementing novel trapping techniques for laser-cooled atoms based on nano- and micro-optics, with emphasis on nanostructured optical nanofibers. Such systems have potential for quantum engineering using neutral atoms. The successful candidate must have previous experience in laser-cooling of alkalis or ion trapping and must have prior, peer-reviewed publications in this field. Ability to work as a team member, while assuming day-to-day responsibilities in the laboratory is essential. The following are required:
• Fabrication and integration of micro and nano-optical devices into laser cooling setup
• Operation of MOT system for Rb atoms and taking/analysis of data
• Modeling of systems using packages such as COMSOL
• Assistance with student supervision in the laboratory
Further details available by emailing Prof. Nic Chormaic
1. Ph.D. in Physics with specialisation in laser-cooling of alkali atoms, BEC, or ion trapping
2. Fluency in written and spoken English, with excellent interpersonal skills
3. Holding a strong publication record, ability to work independently, and adaptive with new disciplines
TERM: Full-time, fixed-term appointment for two years with an extension of one additional year possible upon satisfactory progress. Contract initially with 3 month probationary period (inclusive).
In accordance with the OIST Employee Compensation Regulations
- Relocation, housing and commuting allowances
- Annual paid leave and summer holidays
- Health insurance (Private School Mutual Aid http://www.shigakukyosai.jp/ ), welfare pension insurance (kousei-nenkin), worker’s accident compensation insurance (roudousha-saigai-hoshou-hoken)
STARTING DATE: No later than January 04, 2015
- Curriculum vita including names of 3 academic referees (in English)
- Cover letter (in English)
- Summary of research interests and experience (in English)
APPLICATION DUE: Applications deadline will continue until the position is filled.
EMAIL ADDRESS: Recruitingfirstname.lastname@example.org
* OIST is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. Applications from female candidates are particularly encouraged.
*Information provided by applicants or references will be kept confidential, documents will not be returned. All applicants will be notified regarding the status of their applications.
The Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University (OIST) will become a model for change in education and research. Beautifully situated on the subtropical island of Okinawa (Japan), OIST relies on a cross-disciplinary approach, with an emphasis on creativity and exchange. OIST is a university with no departments, eliminating artificial barriers between people working in different fields. The working language of the university is English.