Senior Post-doctoral Researcher at ICTQT, UG
Scientific discipline: quantum physics
Number of jobs offered: 1
Remuneration: gross monthly salary up to 14 000 PLN , depending on experience
Position starts on: 01.07.2019, the start date is negotiable
Maximum period of employment contract: 36 months (full-time employment, subject to periodical evaluations)
Institution: International Centre for Theory of Quantum Technologies, University of Gdansk, Poland
Submit documents to: firstname.lastname@example.org
The position of the Senior Post-doctoral Researcher offered by the International Centre for Theory of Quantum Technologies of the University of Gdansk is within implementation of the project “International Centre for Theory of Quantum Technologies” (Project leader: Marek Żukowski). The project is financed by the Foundation for Polish Science from the funds of the Smart Growth Operational Programme EU, axis IV: Increasing the research potential (Measure 4.3) under the International Research Agendas Programme.
We are looking for a Senior Post-doctoral Researcher to work in the newly created International Centre for Theory of Quantum Technologies (ICTQT), funded by the Foundation for Polish Science, and hosted by the University of Gdansk. The founders of ICTQT are Marek Zukowski as the director, and Pawel Horodecki as a co- applicant. The Centre’s official foreign partner is IQOQI-Vienna of the Austrian Academy of Sciences. Gdansk is the pioneering and leading center of quantum information research in Poland. Gdansk, and the whole Tri-City, is one of the most beautifully located urban areas in Poland, with sandy sea beaches, lakes, and woods within in it and in the nearby area. It is the birthplace of Polish jazz and rock festivals, and vibrant in many fields.
The Centre consists of 7 research groups:
- Multiphoton Quantum Optics for Quantum Information (leader Marek Zukowski)
- New Quantum Resources I (leader Paweł Horodecki)
- New Quantum Resources II (leader Michał Horodecki)
- Quantum Cybersecurity and Communication (leader Marcin Pawłowski)
- Foundational Underpinnings of Quantum Technologies (leader Ana Belen Sainz)
- Quantum Computation, Quantum Error Correction and Many-body Systems
- Quantum Open Systems.
A Senior Post-doctoral Researcher does not have to be a formal member of any of these groups. The candidates’ expertise must be related with the needs of ICTQT for curial R&D competences. Senior Post-doctoral Researchers would be encouraged to form their own research groups financed from external grants.
Profile of candidates/requirements:
- A scientist with scientific achievements, solid knowledge and research experience in quantum information or related fields.
- PhD degree preferably in physics. PhD degree in computer science or mathematics is also acceptable.
- Written and oral communication skills.
- Skills in coordinating, and/or supervising the work of others.
- Candidates with a record of successful grant applications are preferred
- Ability to work effectively with people from diverse cultural backgrounds.
Key responsibilities include:
- Active scientific research.
- Research leadership involving expansion to new fields of quantum information processing and active role in setting up of international research networks. Active procurement of new research grants from external sources (Flagship, ERC, National Science Centre, etc.).
- Active involvement in a MSc and a PhD training programme.
- Participation in mentoring of PhD and Master students.
- Participation in organizational activity of ICTQT.
- Active involvement in seminars, group meetings etc.
- employment in a rapidly developing unit, the International Centre for Theory of Quantum Technologies at the University of Gdansk,Poland;
- full-time employment from July,1 2019 till June, 30 2022 (36 months). The start date of employment is negotiable; the employment period may be extended after an evaluation;
- gross monthly salary up to PLN 14 000 PLN (depending on candidate’s qualifications);
- scientific and organizational support;
- basic equipment and core facilities;
- friendly, inspiring, interdisciplinary environment, including “entanglement” with National Centre for Quantum Information (KCIK) and Institute for Theoretical Physics and Astrophysics (IFTiA) at UG.
1. filled-in recruitment form;
2. curriculum vitae;
3. a research resume with a list of publications, and a list of research projects (esp. those in which the candidate was the principal investigator); PDF file of the five most important papers by the candidate (or web links, in the case of open access publications); A list of invited talks at conferences and workshops, and a list of academic prizes and awards;
4. motivation letter (including description of immediate and, separately, long-term research plans, plans to form a group, innovation potential and possible prospects to establish industrial connections, all discussed in relation with the research aims of ICTQT) – up to five pages;
5. documents confirming scientific degrees (copy of PhD and/or habilitation diplomas and professorial nominations, or equivalent);
6. names and contact details (e-mail addresses) of at least two senior researchers who may provide references for the candidate (the candidate is expected to contact the referees and ask them to send reference letters directly to email@example.com. The letters must be sent before the deadline.). ICTQT may also contact the referees directly, to request the letters, or to send reminders.
General rules of the recruitment process:
1. Candidates may run simultaneously for other positions offered by ICTQT.
2. A senior postdoctoral position is offered to candidates from 5 up to 10 years after the doctoral degree (PhD degree obtained between 2009 - 2014).
3. The decision will be made by the ICTQT Selecting Commission (SC) within 3 months from the deadline for submission of applications.
4. An interview is expected. SC reserves the right to invite only pre-selected candidates for the interview.
5. SC reserves the right to close the competition without selecting the candidate.
6. SC’s decision is final and is not subject to appeal. However, actual hiring of a Senior Post-doctoral Researcher at the ICTQT requires an approval by FPS.
For more details about research groups and the position please visit: https://euraxess.ec.europa.eu/jobs/387331