Institution: International Centre for Theory of Quantum Technologies, University of Gdansk, Poland
Scientific discipline: quantum physics
Number of jobs offered: 4
Stipend: monthly stipend 1 500 PLN (tax free)
Position starts on: 01.10.2019 (for those only who are already students the starting date is negotiable)
Maximum period of stipend: up to 24 months
Submit documents to: email@example.com
Positions of students offered by the International Centre for Theory of Quantum Technologies of the University of Gdansk are within implementation of the project “International Centre for Theory of Quantum Technologies” (Project leader: Marek Żukowski). The project is financed by the Foundation for Polish Science from the funds of the Smart Growth Operational Programme, axis IV: Increasing the research potential (Measure 4.3) under the International Research Agendas Programme.
We are looking for students to work in the newly created International Centre for Theory of Quantum Technologies (ICTQT), funded by the Foundation for Polish Science, and hosted by the University of Gdansk. The founders of ICTQT are Marek Zukowski as the director, and Pawel Horodecki as a co- applicant. The Centre’s official foreign partner is IQOQI-Vienna of the Austrian Academy of Sciences. Gdansk is the pioneering and leading center of quantum information research in Poland. Gdansk, and the whole Tri-City, is one of the most beautifully located urban areas in Poland, with sandy sea beaches, lakes, and woods within in it and in the nearby area. It is the birthplace of Polish jazz and rock festivals, and vibrant in many fields.
The Centre consists of 7 research groups:
- Multiphoton Quantum Optics for Quantum Information (leader Marek Zukowski)
- New Quantum Resources I (leader Paweł Horodecki)
- New Quantum Resources II (leader Michał Horodecki)
- Quantum Cybersecurity and Communication (leader Marcin Pawłowski)
- Foundational Underpinnings of Quantum Technologies (leader Ana Belen Sainz)
- Quantum Computation, Quantum Error Correction and Many-body Systems
- Quantum Open Systems.
Profile of candidates/requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree (or an equivalent) in physics, computers science or mathematics.
- Interest in mathematical and conceptual foundations of quantum mechanics.
- Optionally: experience in programming (C++, Python or Matlab).
- Interest in the subject and motivation to scientific work.
Key responsibilities include:
- Active scientific research.
- Presentation of project results to internal and external parties.
- Active involvement in seminars, group meetings etc.
- Participation in organizational activity of ICTQT.
- Scholarship monthly 1500 PLN.
- Work in a rapidly developing unit, the International Centre for Theory of Quantum Technologies at the University of Gdansk.
- Scientific and organizational support.
- Basic equipment and core facilities.
- Friendly, inspiring, interdisciplinary environment, including “entanglement” with National Centre for Quantum Information (KCIK) and Institute for Theoretical Physics and Astrophysics (IFTiA) at UG.
1. filled-in recruitment form;
2. curriculum vitae;
3. motivation letter (including statement of current scientific interests)– up to 2 pages;
4. documents confirming scientific bachelor’s, or equivalent, degree;
5. name and contact details (e-mail addresses) to one senior researcher who may provide reference for the candidate
(The candidate is expected to contact the referee and ask him/ her to send the reference letter directly to firstname.lastname@example.org. The letters must be sent before the deadline.). ICTQT may also contact the referee directly, to request the letter, or to send reminder.
General rules of the recruitment process:
1. The recruitment procedure has two stages:
o Interview of pre-selected candidates by the Selection Commission(SC);
o Formal recruitment at UG for studies of either physics, or computer science, or mathematics (September, 2019). Recruitment is obligatory for those only who are not already students at Polish universities in the disciplines.
2. The student position is also offered to candidates who are already students at other Universities.
3. The decision will be made by ICTQT Selecting Commission (SC) within 3 months from the date of recruitment completion.
4. SC reserves the right to invite for the interview only pre-selected candidates.
5. SC’s decision is final and is not subject to appeal.
6. SC reserves the right to close the competition without selecting the candidate.
For more details about research groups and the position please visit: https://euraxess.ec.europa.eu/jobs/379011