Start your mission with DLR
The German Aerospace Center (DLR) is the national aeronautics and space research centre and the space agency of the Federal Republic of Germany. Here, 10,000 employees work together on a unique variety of topics in the fields of aeronautics, space, energy, transport, security and digitalisation. Their missions range from basic research to the development of innovative applications and products for tomorrow. Cutting-edge research requires excellent minds – particularly more females – at all levels, who fully achieve their potential in an inspiring environment. Launch your mission with us.
For our Institute of Quantum Technologies in Ulm, we are currently looking for a
Physicist Quantum Information Processing (f/m/x)
Quantum Computing, Implementation of Quantum Algorithms
The aim of the DLR Institute of Quantum Technologies in Ulm is to develop precision instruments for space applications based on quantum technologies and, in close cooperation with industry, mature them into prototypes. It thus provides a bridge between fundamental research and industry. Together with the DLR-Institute for Satellite Geodesy and Inertial Sensing in Hanover and the Galileo Competence Center in Oberpfaffenhofen, the institute in Ulm plays a pioneering role in these fields of research and application. The research of the four core departments Quantum Metrology, Quantum Information and Communication, Quantum Nanophysics, and Quantum Control of Charged Matter Waves is complemented by support from three cross-sectional departments of Quantum Engineering, Integration of Micro- and Nanosystems, and Theoretical Quantum Physics. The institute works in an interdisciplinary way, where fundamental theoretical research and experimental tests meets engineering.
We are looking for you to take on a position in the department of "Theoretical Quantum Physics". As part of your scientific work, you will explore real quantum processors, develop and implement hardware-aware quantum algorithms and evaluate their performance together with our industrial partners. Realistic problems from DLR research should be solved. Be part of our team that provides important, interdisciplinary cross-sectional services for the supervision and preparation of quantum experiments of the other departments of the institute. Profit from the professional training and networking possibilities offered by the quantum computing initiative of the DLR. Be part of our team and build with us the foundations of future quantum computers.
• perform scientific work in the area of quantum computation
• test and benchmark real quantum hardware
• develop, implement and test quantum algorithms on noisy intermediate scale quantum computers
• transfer scientific results into industrial applications
• present the obtained results in scientific journals as well as national and international conferences
• university degree (master or comparable) in physics, mathematics or computer science
• a comprehensive knowledge in quantum physics and especially quantum information. This should be based on long-term professional experience and scientific activities.
• PhD in quantum information processing is a plus
• excellent knowledge in quantum information processing preferred
• ideally programming skills (C, Python, etc.)
• fluent in written and oral English preferred
• ability to work within a team of scientists and technicians is a plus
• ideally passion for research and science
Look forward to a fulfilling job with an employer who appreciates your commitment and supports your personal and professional development. Our unique infrastructure offers you a working environment in which you have unparalleled scope to develop your creative ideas and accomplish your professional objectives. Our human resources policy places great value on a healthy family and work-life-balance as well as equal opportunities for persons of all genders (f/m/x). Individuals with disabilities will be given preferential consideration in the event their qualifications are equivalent to those of other candidates.
If you have any questions concerning specific aspects of the job, please contact Dr. Sabine Wölk by calling +49 731400 198-112. Please find further information on this vacancy with the reference number 87114, and details regarding the remuneration and the application procedure, at www.DLR.de/dlr/jobs/#52051