We offer 3 PhD positions to motivated students who want to work on fundamental questions in quantum information science. The positions are in the groups of Stacey Jeffery, John van de Wetering, and Ludovico Lami. Successful candidates will join the vibrant group of researchers at QuSoft in Amsterdam.
QuSoft is the Dutch research Center for Quantum Software, a collaboration between the University of Amsterdam (UvA) and Centrum Wiskunde & Informatica (CWI). Its mission is to explore and develop uses of quantum computers and other quantum technologies, for the benefit of society. The researchers at QuSoft develop algorithms, software and applications that exploit the extraordinary power of quantum computers based on their quantum mechanical properties, such as superposition, interference and entanglement. That requires fundamentally different techniques and approaches from those used to develop conventional software.
At the moment, we are looking for PhD candidates to fill the following positions:
1. Stacey Jeffery (CWI) will supervise a PhD project in the area of quantum computing and theoretical computer science. This can include quantum algorithms, cryptography, complexity theory, and/or models of quantum computation.
2. John van de Wetering (Informatics Institute of UvA) will supervise a PhD project in the area of quantum circuit compilation, including optimisation and classical simulation. Depending on the interests of the candidate the focus can also lie on other topics in compilation or quantum foundations.
3. Ludovico Lami (Mathematics, Physics UvA) will supervise a PhD project on the theoretical study of quantum resources, including quantum entanglement, non-stabiliser quantum computation ("magic"), and quantum thermodynamics. The focus, depending on the candidate's inclination, can be on new theoretical directions as well as on possible applications to physics.
We are looking for a candidate with:
- an MSc in computer science, mathematics, physics or a related field;
- a strong scientific interest in quantum information processing;
- strong academic performance in university-level courses in the relevant subjects;
- professional command of English and good presentation skills;
- the willingness to work collaboratively with other researchers.
A temporary contract for 38 hours per week for the duration of 4 years (the initial contract will be for a period of 18 months and after satisfactory evaluation it will be extended for a total duration of 4 years). The preferred starting date is to be discussed. This should lead to a dissertation (PhD thesis). We will draft an educational plan that includes attendance of courses and (international) meetings. We also expect you to assist in teaching undergraduates and master students.
Your salary will range between €2,541 in the first year to €3,247 gross per month in the last year of employment, on the basis of a full working week of 38 hours. This does not include the 8% holiday allowance and the 8,3% year-end allowance the UvA offers. A favourable tax agreement, the ‘30% ruling’, may apply to non-Dutch applicants. Besides the salary and a vibrant and challenging environment at Science Park we offer you multiple fringe benefits (see https://vacatures.uva.nl/UvA/job/QuSoft-PhD/761215402/).
If you feel the profile fits you, and you are interested in the job, we look forward to receiving your application. You can apply online via
Applications received until and including 15 January 2023 will be given full consideration. Applications should include the following information (all files including CV and cover letter should be submitted in one single pdf file):
- a detailed CV including the months (not just years) when referring to your education and work experience;
- a letter of motivation (at most 1 page) clearly indicating which of the positions you are interested in applying to, and explaining why you are interested in this/these position(s);
- a list of all university courses taken, including a transcript of grades;
- a report from a research project you have done (e.g., your Master thesis);
- the names and email addresses of two or three references who can provide letters of recommendation.
You can use the CV field to upload all requested documents, including the motivation letter, as one single pdf file. We will invite potential candidates for interviews at the end of January 2023.